2021 Orange County Hate Crimes Report
Orange County has released the 2021 Hate Crimes Report showing significant increases since 2017 in hate incidents and hate crimes.
The 2021 hate crime and incident numbers demonstrate a significant increase compared to 2017. Since 2017, the 2021 reported showed:
- A 165% increase of total hate activity
- A 2100% increase in anti-LGBTQ hates crimes
- A 5000% increase in anti-AAPI hate incidents
- A 525% increase in anti-Black hate incidents
- A 26x increase in antisemitic hate incidents
- A 2x increase in anti-Latinx hate incidents.
The Orange County Human Relations Commission (the Commission) was founded in 1971 by the Orange County Board of Supervisors to seek out the causes of conflict, discrimination and intolerance and eliminate those causes. Among its many accomplishments, the Commission began reporting on hate activity in the early 1990’s and continues to publish an annual hate crime report. In recent years the report has shown an alarming uptick in reported hate motivated activity, most notably in 2020, an 1800% increase in hate incidents targeting those who are or are perceived to be Asian American.
In response to the multi-year increase and the 2020 surge of hate activity, the Board of Supervisors, by a unanimous vote of those present, reaffirmed its commitment to eradicating hate when it approved a $1 million expansion program that paves the way for the Orange County Human Relations Commission to enhance and expand its efforts to address anti-hate crime in Orange County.
The Funding will:
- Improve accessibility to reporting platforms and resources that meet languages, cultural and diversity needs.
- Improve community understanding and engagement to address hate and bias.
- Expand the network of organizations that engage in anti-hate work.
- Create and implement mobile-friendly ways to report hate.
REPORT A HATE CRIME
Hate crimes are not only an attack on the victim—they attack, threaten, and intimidate entire
communities. Preventing hate crimes are our top priority. If you believe you are a victim of, or
witness a hate crime, please report it, or submit a tip using one of the four methods below.
You will be able to report in Arabic, Chinese, English, Filipino, Korean, Persian, Spanish,
This project is funded through a grant from the ARPA (H.R. 1319), as allocated by the Orange County Board of Supervisors and administered by OC Community Services.
Copyright © 2022 HATEHURTSUSALL.ORG